31) Which of the following is the primary disadvantage of using questionnaires to gather job analysis information?
A) Questionnaires are the most expensive method of collecting data.
B) Supervisors are required to verify all collected questionnaire data.
C) Firms lack the technology to generate electronic questionnaires.
D) Questionnaires are too open-ended to provide statistical information.
E) Developing and testing questionnaires is time-consuming.
32) For which of the following jobs is direct observation NOT a recommended method for collecting job analysis data?
A) assembly-line worker
B) accounting clerk
33) One of the problems with direct observation is ________, which is when workers alter their normal activities because they are being watched.
34) A ________ is the time it takes to complete a job.
B) work cycle
C) work week
35) Which data collection method is most frequently used in conjunction with direct observation?
D) electronic log
36) Which of the following requires workers to make daily listings of the activities in which they engage as well as the amount of time each activity takes?
37) Joaquin records every activity in which he participates at work along with the time it takes him to complete each activity. Which of the following approaches to job analysis data collection is most likely being used at Joaquin's workplace?
C) direct observations
E) supervisor verification
38) Pocket dictating machines and pagers have replaced traditional diary/log methods in many firms. Which of the following problems have the modern methods most likely eliminated?
A) poor penmanship skills among employees
B) work time required to fill out forms and surveys
C) employee forgetfulness regarding daily activities
D) costs associated with copying and filing paperwork
E) employee frustration towards bureaucratic requirements
39) Purrfect Pets is a local pet supply store with a following of loyal customers who appreciate the personal service the store's employees provide. After a very profitable year, Purrfect Pets is expanding by opening two more stores. Before hiring employees for the new stores, the manager is considering the idea of conducting a job analysis for each position.
Which of the following, if true, would best support the argument that the manager should conduct group interviews to gather job analysis information?
A) The supply manager at Purrfect Pets has been with the company for three years.
B) Purrfect Pets is an excellent place to work because of the positive work environment.
C) Most of the young employees of Purrfect Pets would feel awkward during a one-on-one interview.
D) Employees at Purrfect Pets work well with their colleagues, and few staffing conflicts occur.
E) Numerous employees at Purrfect Pets perform similar tasks during the work day.
40) Purrfect Pets is a local pet supply store with a following of loyal customers who appreciate the personal service the store's employees provide. After a very profitable year, Purrfect Pets is expanding by opening two more stores. Before hiring employees for the new stores, the manager is considering the idea of conducting a job analysis for each position.
Which of the following, if true, would best support the argument that the manager should use a position analysis questionnaire to collect job analysis information?
A) Compliance with EEO laws requires businesses to compile quantitative data.
B) Management wants to develop a pay scale for all employees at Purrfect Pets.
C) Purrfect Pets managers are unfamiliar with the typical routines of most employees.
D) Managers believe that some Purrfect Pets employees are overlooking important daily tasks.
E) The larger staff size now makes the business eligible for a cost effective health insurance plan.