Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapter 4 and Chapter 5 in your course textbook. Then explore the following resource:
- O*NET OnLine (Links to an external site.)
- Using the O*NET Occupation Search feature, find information about an occupation that interests you and aligns with your field of study. Take note of the “reported job titles.”
- Using one or more of the reported job titles listed on O*NET, identify a prospective employer in your field of study or a professional organization for your field.
- This does not have to be an organization you belong to, or intend to belong to, or an employer you might realistically work for.
- Review any material you locate pertaining to a mission or vision statement for the prospective employer or guiding values associated with your field
Any occupation or industry will be governed by a set of core values—those key principles that lie behind the daily work one might be expected to do. After considering the mission and vision statements, or stated guiding values, listed on an employer or professional organization website, you should have some sense of what those key principles are—and, further, you should be able to analyze these in light of your work in Week 1 of this course and the work you are doing on your Week 2 Personal-Professional Narrative.
In 250 to 300 words, address the following points:
- Identify and briefly describe the prospective employer or professional organization you researched and the job titles you used to research.
- Explain how this information aligns with the unique experiences and personal values you articulated in Week 1 and as you prepare to write the Personal-Professional Narrative.
- Integrate a quote or paraphrase where appropriate, with proper APA citation—see APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)from the Writing Center.
- Make connections between your own interests or abilities and your enhanced knowledge of industry and employer values.
- Articulate any questions, curiosities, predictions, challenges you have about your suitability for this career field.