Read “The Fashion Punk Paradox” and answer the following questions:
1. How is Hyde’s notion of punk fundamentally opposed to mainstream messages about punk? Why is that difference important?
2. Allusions are a key part of Hyde’s argument. Choose one cultural allusion, and explain how it functions in the overall line of reasoning.
3. What values lurk beneath the explicit claims about original punk culture? (In other words, what principles or qualities must a reader value to accept Hyde’s argument?)
4. Describe Hyde’s use of counterargument. Point to a particular passage and explain how it works as counterargument-and how it helps to develop Hyde’s overall point.
5. Take a close look at Hyde’s Works Cited list. Based on this list and Hyde’s use of song lyrics, how would you define “authority” in academic argument?