Book: The Fundamentals of Ethics by Russ Shafer Landau Third Edition
For the assignments- Three detailed paragraphs. One quote with quotation marks and cited APA from the book in each of three paragraphs is mandatory. So each paragraph has a quote with quotation marks and cited in APA from the book (three quotes minimum from the book for the assignment). Then discuss the quote by quoting or paraphrasing from at least one of your other sources in each of three paragraphs. Each paragraph has a quote from the book and at least one cited paraphrase or quote from another source. Four total sources for the assignment!
- Is religion a good source of moral guidance? Describe what you take to be the strongest arguments on both side of the issue, and then defend your own view.
- What is the relationship between religion and morality? Does morality depend on religion in any sense? Defend your answer.
- Is there a single correct definition of human nature? If not, is this a problem for the natural law theory?
- How do you think that an ethical egoist might try to argue for the existence of moral rights? Can such an argument succeed?
- Would everyone be better off if each of us just pursued our own self-interest? If so, is this a strong consideration in favor of ethical egoism?
- Do human lives have a purpose? Does knowing the purpose of human lives help us to determine what is morally required?
- Is it ever rational to act contrary to one’s self-interest? If so, under what circumstances? If not, does this show that ethical egoism is true?