University of Phoenix Material
Correlation Study Worksheet
Your research team has been tasked with finding the correlation of the following scenario:
Four research participants take a test of manual dexterity (high scores mean better dexterity) and an anxiety test (high scores mean more anxiety). The scores are as follows:
Person Dexterity Anxiety
1 1 10
2 1 8
3 2 4
4 4 -2
Describe the process that your research team would go through by completing the following:
- Make a scatter diagram of the scores.
- Describe in words the general pattern of correlation, if any.
- Figure the correlation coefficient.
- Figure whether the correlation is statistically significant (use the .05 significance level, two-tailed).
- Explain the logic of what you have done, writing as if you are speaking to someone who has never heard of correlation (but who does understand the mean, standard deviation, Z scores, and hypothesis testing).
- Give three logically possible directions of causality, indicating for each direction whether it is a reasonable explanation for the correlation in light of the variables involved (and why).
Copyright ©2013 by Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission.