Masters of International Hotel Management
This Appendix will provide the framework for you to construct rosters for the Housekeeping and Front Desk/GSA departments within the Dream Hotel.
You are required to address the following points and assumptions as part of your assignment part B;
Reflect on a trading period of one week for the Dream Hotel.
• Trading periods are reported Monday – Sunday.
• Rosters are written Monday – Sunday.
• Week One forecast occupancy rates
? Monday @ 60%
? Tuesday @ 100%
? Wednesday @ 100%
? Thursday @ 65% – Note that this is Public Holiday.
? Friday @ 85%
? Saturday @ 90%
? Sunday @ 70%
? 5 reception/work stations in your hotel
1. You are required to demonstrate your knowledge of cost control by creating3 rosters that are costed in accordance with the relevant industrial relations instrument. (approx. 1000 words excl tables)
• Create and cost a 1-week roster for the Front Desk/GSA team only of the Dream Hotel. Lay out your assumptions, justify and explain your rational for your rostering decisions
• Create and cost a 1-week roster for the Room Attendants team of the Dream Hotel. Lay out your assumptions, justify and explain your rational for your rostering decisions
• Create and cost a 1-week roster for the Public Area Attendants team of the Dream Hotel. Lay out your assumptions, justify and explain your rational for your rostering decisions
• Hotel Has – 400 rooms and suites 40
• Cleaning times for hotel rooms are;
? ‘Departures’ – 30 minutes
? Daily Cleans – 20 minutes
• Cleaning times for suites are
? ‘Departures’ – 45 minutes
? Daily Cleans – 25 minutes
• Cleaning times for Public Areas
? Lobby: 4 hours per day
• Food & Beverage facilities : these all operate seven days per week
o A lobby lounge / bar: 30 minutes
o A 200 seat cafe: two hours
o A 100 seat restaurant: one hour
• Conference facilities:
o A grand ballroom seating 1500: two hours: assume used for wedding on Saturdays only
o 2 conference rooms @ 75 square meters: 1 hour: used Mon- Fri
o 10 meeting rooms @ 25 square meters: 1 hour; used Mon-Fri
You may need to make certain assumptions in order for you to complete this task. It is essential that any assumptions are listed and explained as part of your submission.
Note that “Strong evidence of personal reflection on learning” is an important component of this assignment. In order to earn these marks you will need to provide more detail to demonstrate your understanding of these concepts as well as to list and justify any assumptions you have made. You must demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the potential challenges and operational environment that may exist if the Dream Hotel were a reality.