Be prepared to write a 6-8 page essay on one of these 10 questions in a descriptive essay. Be sure to answer each part of the question in order to gain full credit for each question. You need 6-8 source placed in a MLA bibliography. You need a thesis statement and supporting arguments to support it. Be sure that your essay answers your question.
1. The beginning of the 20th century marked the beginning of American imperialism. Define imperialism and descibe 3 examples of American imperialism during this period. Also, explain Mark Twain’s position about imperialism.
2. Describe the Insular Cases, Philippine Insurrection, the building of the Panama Canal and Roosevelt Corolary. Explain why these events raise quesitons about Josiah Strong’s argument about imperialism.
3. Describe five significant characteristics of the Great War.
4. Describe 4 characteristics of the Treaty of Versailles and the response that the Senate gave to the League of Nations. .
5. Describe 5 ways that America moved from conservatism to liberalism in the 1920s.
6. Explain what fundamentalism, 18th amendment, the Scopes Monkey Trial, Marcus Garvey and Henry Ford had to do with the 1920s.
7. How was Warren Harding’s character different from Calvin Coolidge and explain four reasons why America was caught in illusions in either domestic or foreign policy?
8. Franklin Roosevelt became president in 1933 and proposed a New Deal for America. Describe 5 New Deal programs designed to address the Great Depression.
9. Describe 5 significant events leading to or during WW II.
10. Describe the plight of women, blacks, Jews in Europe, Italians, and Japanese Americans during the 1920s-1940s.