Week2 discussion deals with Operating systems and its vulnerabilities. Anoperating system is defined as the following: A software that managesthe hardware and software of a system. It also provides the UserInterface that allows humans to interact with the system. As much of theinformation is either created and/or stored in the system, securing theOS requires a thorough understanding of the Operating system and how tosecure it. There are many different types of operating systems thatexist, either for desktops, routers, switches, servers, and mobiledevices.
- Based on the definition above, please identify the operatingsystem. Provide recommendations on how you would secure and harden theoperating system to ensure it has been configured more securely.
- Based on the system and its operating system, please research thevendor and its website to identify any hardening guides and documentsyou may find. You may also research other sources on the Internet for ahardening guide. Some of useful sites you may visit are the following:
- SANS Information Security- SANS is a valuable information Security resource. SANS organizationhas been recognized within the Information Security community as anindispensable tool for all security needs. The reading room serves asthe repository on thousands of white papers and documents regardinginformation security. It has templates on creating InfoSec policies andguidelines on how to configure IT systems securely.
- Best Practices and How To Articles- Here is a collection of Information Security policy documents, bestpractices, and how to articles for Information Security. It can be usedto help develop hardening documents.
- National Vulnerability Database Repository- National Institute of Standards and Technology is a government agencythat is tasked with developing standards on all technology, from IT tonon-IT technology and things like standard weights and measure. Manyregulations that drive Information Security reference NIST as a sourcefor standard methodologies used in the industry.
- Based on your research, please list and discuss any operating systemconfiguration that needs to be evaluated and hardened. Please identifythe default setting and what it needs to be to ensure a higher level ofsecurity. You should also indicate the importance of the setting.