For this Assignment, you will write an essay that describes how you would apply operant conditioning to a specific case.
Your Assignment must be written in essay format using 12-point font and double-spacing. APA format and at least three scholarly sources are required. It should be between 4–6 pages in length.
Select one of the following behaviors:
- Teaching a puppy to roll over
- Getting a teenager to clean his/her room
- Working with an autistic child to make eye contact with an adult
- Another behavior of your choosing — check first with your instructor
In your essay, be sure to do the following:
- Briefly recap and describe the target behavior you wish to shape.
- Break the behavior down into the manageable parts that you will shape (list each part).
- Describe the process that you will use to shape the behaviors.
- Evaluate the different types of reinforcement that could be used to shape behaviors. Describe at least two factors that you need to consider when selecting a reinforcer.
- Discuss how you will balance reinforcement with extinction while shaping behavior. Describe some of the potential consequences that can arise if you use: a) too much reinforcement; or b) too much extinction.
- In 2–4 paragraphs, discuss the relevance of operant conditioning to your own personal career goals.
The Assignment should:
- Follow Assignment directions (review grading rubric for best results).
- Use correct APA formatting per the APA Publication Manual, 6th Edition.
- Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard American English.
- Be written in Standard American English and be clear, specific, and error-free. If needed, be sure to use the Kaplan University Writing Center for help.