Addressing human rights issues is a major objective for intergovernmental organizations (IGOs) and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) in the global community. International organizations promote, support, and protect human rights. They also provide service for those affected by human rights violations and abuses. For example, organizations may promote girls’ education and provide services for girls who are forced from school to work in a factory. The strategies that IGOs and NGOs use to address human rights, as well as external factors, greatly impact the outcomes of their efforts. Your task for this application is to explore the strategies that help to address human rights issues in a given region or nation and examine external factors that might impact human rights issues.
To prepare for this Application:
- Review Chapter 7 in the course text Controversies in Globalization: Contending Approaches to International Relations.Think about humanitarian intervention as a strategy for addressing human rights issues.
- Review Chapter 10 in the course text International Organizations: The Politics and Processes of Global Governance. Pay attention to strategies IGOs and NGOs use to address human rights issues in the global community.
- Review the interactive map and select a case scenario related to human rights to use for this assignment.
- Think about IGOs and NGOs that might provide services to address the human rights issue in the case scenario.
- Consider strategies IGOs and NGOs might use to address the human rights issue.
- Think about factors that might impact human rights issues in the region or nation in the case scenario.
The assignment: (1.5–2 pages)
1. Describe the human rights issue from the case scenario you selected and the region in which it is occurring.
2. Describe one IGO and one NGO that provide services to address the selected human rights issue.
3. Explain one strategy and one technique the IGO and the NGO might use to address the selected human rights issue.
4. Explain two factors that might impact the human rights issues in that region or nation.
**Please cite the resources provided in text at least 3 separate times.
All references are provided so please use them.