Ritzer argues that with McDonaldization, technologies, including “machines and tools, materials, skills, knowledge, rules, regulations, procedures, and techniques” (p. 89), control us.
Without using direct quotes, this assignment requires you to do the following:
- Summarize Ritzer’s definition of control by non-human technologies, including a description of what he means by non-human technologies.
- Next, think of one area of your life, such as your job, banking, your education, a leisure activity, etc and how that statement may apply to that activity as you experience it. NOTE: Do not choose one of the areas described in the textbook.
- Based on your reflection, do you agree with Ritzer’s argument?
- Do you feel that, as an employee, student, or customer, you are overly controlled by non-human technologies in this activity?
PLEASE NOTE: This is not a paper of the advantages of technology or about the importance of technology in contemporary life. You need to focus on the dimension of McDonaldization called control, in one area of your own life.
- Your journal entry is worth% of your final grade.
- It should bepages long using a 12-point size font, double-spaced.
- You should use a header with your name, the date, the course number, and “Journal Entry” on the first page.
- You should cite and reference your textbook properly in a standard formatting style, such as ASA, APA, or MLA.
- The first two pages should be your essay, and the third page should be your reference list.