Completing this assignment will help you identify the skills and abilities that will move your career forward. You will develop a job application cover letter. For this assignment, you may present yourself as a recent graduate if needed.
Using the Internet, find a specific job opening posted online within the last nine months that requires the same degree level you are completing: for example, associate’s or bachelor’s degree. You may use one of these sites or other similar job search sites to complete your search:
- O*Net Online. No date. Occupation Search. https://www.onetonline.org/
- Linkedin.com. No date. Linkedin Job Search. https://www.linkedin.com/jobs
- Write a cover letter as though you are applying for the position. Highlight and emphasize why you are the most suitable candidate for the position. Remember to tailor the letter to the specific job description for the job.
Follow the general writing guidelines on pages 252–258 in the text for structural and content guidance for a business letter.
- Note: An example can be found on page 253, Figure 13E.
- Highlight relevant background and job history information specific to the opening.
- Describe 3–5 significant qualifications, including skills and education, with an explanation of why you would be an asset for the role.
- Your cover letter should follow the example found on page 253 of your textbook.
- Follow proper block business letter formatting techniques per business letter format.
- Use appropriate professional language, greeting, and closing.
- Develop main paragraphs with six or seven sentences.
- The cover letter should be on page 1 of the submission. Include a working hyperlink to the job posting on page 2.
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Review your work with the rubric/scoring before submitting your assignment.
Remember to run a spelling and grammar check on your document prior to submission. Check with your professor if you have any additional questions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Persuade audience of qualifications in the form of a cover letter