Having an understanding of various types of literary texts and genres of literature is crucial in order to know how to integrate them into English language arts lessons in an elementary classroom.
Part 1: Matrix
For this assignment, you will complete the “Literary Genre Matrix” to describe different types of literary texts and how each can be implemented in the classroom.
Below are examples of fiction and nonfiction genre.
- Fiction. Drama, fable , fairy tale, fantasy, folklore, historical fiction, horror, humor, legend, mystery, mythology, poetry, realistic fiction, science fiction, short story, tall tale, etc.
- Nonfiction. Biography, essay, narrative nonfiction, speech, etc.
Choose two examples of fiction genre and two examples of nonfiction genre and address the following in the “Literary Genre Matrix.”
- Definition of each form of chosen fiction and nonfiction genre.
- Two examples of grade cluster appropriate texts for grades K-2, 3-5, and 6-8.
- Two strategies to integrate each text selected into reading, writing, and listening instruction.
- Two strategies to integrate chosen forms of fiction and nonfiction genre using a technology application.
- Provide the name of the technology.
Part 2: Reflection
In 250-500 words, summarize and reflect on the different literary genre and how each can be implemented in your future classroom. Explain the strategies for student comprehension in reading. What strategies do you use to choose appropriate texts/genres for grade level strands? How does selecting the appropriate text support a positive attitude toward reading and comprehension skills?
Support your findings with at least two scholarly resources.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.