Write an in-depth response to each of the questions numbered below. Number your response with the question. Each response needs to be at least four sentences in length. Refer to “Writing Rubric” (in the Getting Started Module and the syllabus) for content and grammar guidelines. Upload your file into the dropbox folder.
After reading Chapter 12, “Substance Abuse” and the standards from the NASW link for social work practice with clients with substance use disorders, review the information on the SBIRT model and watch the videos provided. Then write in-depth responses to the questions that follow.
- From the reading in the textbook, list the 10 classes of substance use disorders and then outline the condensed components for “criteria for diagnosis” of substance abuse disorders.
- Identify and explain the causes of dependence and addiction. For further information on addiction, go to the Resource section and click on the link entitled “What is Addiction?”
- Go to Readings and click on the link entitled “What Every Social Worker Needs To Know About Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT)”. Outline and describe the SBIRT model for screening clients involves.
- From the readings, list the stages of treatment and highlight current treatment options for substance abuse. Watch the video entitled “Three Approaches to Treating Addiction”. Identify what the approaches are in the video and compare how these approaches match or not to the textbook?
- Watch the video entitled “Allen’s Complete Story”and the video entitled “Testimony of Alcoholic Recovery”. Highlight the struggles each person shared with addiction and how they recovered. What worked for them to recover? How does the first hand testimony help you understand substance abuse better?
- Go to the Readings section and click on the link entitled “NASW Standards for Clients With Substance Use Disorders”. Read through the standards. List and explain the interventions, ethics, values, and roles that social workers need to practice.
- Watch the video entitled “Mechanism of Drug Addiction in the Brain”. Outline the key points presented on the biological explanation of addicts behaviors. What specific functions occur in the brain that creates addiction?
- Watch the video entitled “Effects Of Alcohol On the Brain”. Identify the specific areas of the brain that are impacted from drugs and how this changes the behavior of the client with substance abuse.