1) The main purpose of descriptive statistics is to
A. summarize data in a useful and informative manner
B. make inferences about a population
C. determine if the data adequately represents the population
D. gather or collect data
2) The general process of gathering, organizing, summarizing,analyzing, and interpreting data is called
B. descriptive statistics
C. inferential statistics
D. levels of measurement
3) The performance of personal and business investments is measuredas a percentage, return on investment. What type of variable isreturn on investment?
4) What type of variable is the number of robberies reported inyour city?
5) What level of measurement is the number of auto accidentsreported in a given month?
6) The names of the positions in a corporation, such as chiefoperating officer or controller, are examples of what level ofmeasurement?
7) Shoe sizes, such as 7B, 10D, and 12EEE, are examples of whatlevel of measurement?
8) Monthly commissions of first-year insurance brokers are $1,270,$1,310, $1,680, $1,380, $1,410, $1,570, $1,180, and $1,420. Thesefigures are referred to as
A. a histogram
B. raw data
C. frequency distribution
D. frequency polygon
9) A small sample of computer operators shows monthly incomes of$1,950, $1,775, $2,060, $1,840, $1,795, $1,890, $1,925, and $1,810.What are these ungrouped numbers called?
B. Class limits
C. Class frequencies
D. Raw data
10) The sum of the deviations of each data value from this measureof central location will always be 0
D. Standard deviation
11) For any data set, which measures of central location have onlyone value?
A. Mode and median
B. Mode and mean
C. Mode and standard deviation
D. Mean and median
12) A sample of single persons receiving social security paymentsrevealed these monthly benefits: $826, $699, $1,087, $880, $839,and $965. How many observations are below the median?
13) A dot plot shows
A. the general shape of a distribution
B. the mean, median, and mode
C. the relationship between two variables
D. the interquartile range
14) The test scores for a class of 147 students are computed. Whatis the location of the test score associated with the thirdquartile?
15) The National Center for Health Statistics reported that ofevery 883 deaths in recent years, 24 resulted from an automobileaccident, 182 from cancer, and 333 from heart disease. Using therelative frequency approach, what is the probability that aparticular death is due to an automobile accident?